Last Updated: 30 June 2015
Information we collect
In order to provide our customers with our products and services, we may collect and use personal information about you and others. If we are not provided with all the personal information we request, we may not be able to supply our products and services.
The type of information we collect includes names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card details (if you buy products or services from us) and other contact details.
We do not normally collect or store ‘sensitive information’, as defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (eg. information about ethnic origin, religious beliefs or health). However, where we are required to and it is practicable to do so, we will seek your consent before collecting your sensitive information and inform you of the purpose at the same time.
How we collect personal information
Generally, we collect an individual’s personal information from that individual. For example when you complete a form, send us your details to purchase a product or training, register for a conference, submit a request, respond to an e-mail, submit a blog post, view a webcast, create an Xactware ID, register for 24/7 Online Support, subscribe to our mailing list, attend an online meeting, or make a comment. If you complete a purchase from our online store we will also keep data on your order/s for financial records and to facilitate our customer service efforts.
However, occasionally we may also collect personal information from someone other than the individual, for example from other organisations with which you have had dealings, or from publicly maintained records.
How we store personal information
We take reasonable steps, including the implementation of administrative, technical and physical safeguards, to keep secure any personal information which we hold about you and to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration.Any personal information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Access to personal information is limited to those of our personnel who specifically need it to carry out their business responsibilities.
To help us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of the access credentials (ie. user name and password) you use to access and use our website.
Purpose of collection
We collect personal information so we can:
- supply you with our products and services, and carry out related ancillary activities;
- identify our customers, potential customers and their representatives;
- inform you or others about our products and services, the benefits of using our products and services, or of any initiatives we think may be of interest to you or them;
- to personalise and customise your experience;
- analyse our products, services and websites;
- provide you or others with information about offers or other benefits that may become available;
- seek your opinion or comments about our products and services;
- prevent fraud, claims and other liabilities and to comply with or enforce applicable legal requirements, industry standards and our policies and terms;
- carry out billing and/or debt recovery activities;
- carry out our management, administrative quality assurance and complaint handling activities in a professional and efficient manner; and
- develop and implement initiatives to improve our products and services.
Use and Disclosure
We use and disclose the personal information we collect for the purposes indicated above, and for other secondary purposes.
We may disclose the personal information we collect to our related entities, service providers and contractors, who help us supply our products and services. We do not authorise those entities to use or disclose your personal information, except as necessary to perform the required services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
Except where indicated above, we will not use or disclose personal information unless:
- the individual concerned has consented to the use and disclosure;
- the third party is our service provider or contractor, in which case we will require them to use and disclose the personal information only for the purpose for which it was provided to them;
- the third party is a person involved in a dealing or proposed dealing (including a sale) of all or part of our assets and business, in which case we will use reasonable efforts to direct the transferee to use personal information you have provided to us in accordance with this policy;
- the third party is your creditor, banker, financier, credit provider, mortgage insurer or trade insurer;
- the disclosure is to a related body corporate;
- we believe the disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or loss; or
- the disclosure is permitted, required or authorised by or under law.
We may use personal information to advise the individual concerned of new products and marketing initiatives that we think may be of interest to them. This may include product and service offerings, newsletters and general information about us.
Those who prefer not to receive information about our products and services can ask to be removed from the relevant circulation list by unsubscribing using the mechanisms contained in the online communication, or by contacting us using the details listed below.
We may disclose personal information to a third party for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products or services to that individual.
If at any time you want to know what personal information we hold about you, you are welcome to request access to that information by contacting us, using the details listed below. However, where:
- the access impacts on the privacy of others;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- there are existing or anticipated legal proceedings; or
- such access can be denied under law or by a law enforcement agency,
we may deny your request for access.
If we deny your request for access, we will provide you with written notice setting out the reasons for the refusal, and any mechanism available to you to complain about the refusal.
We may also charge a fee to cover the reasonable costs we incur in processing your request.
Quality & Correction
At all times we strive to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If at any time you believe the personal information that we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, you should let us know. We will use reasonable efforts to correct the information.
Website & Cookies
To ensure we are meeting the needs and wants of our website users, and to develop our online services, we may collect aggregated information by using cookies, web server logs, web beacons or similar electronic tools.
Cookies are small amounts of information sent from a web server to your computer. These cookies are used to retain login and location information in order to make your experience more convenient and personal. We also use this information to determine what pages are attractive to our visitors, and understand the manner in which our visitors browse our websites, as well as helping to diagnose technical and service problems.
Our web servers may log information such as your crash reports, operating system type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone where your device is located. The web server logs also may record information such as the address of the web page that referred you to our Site and the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet. They may also log information about your interaction with this Site, such as which pages you visit, app screens visited, visitor trends, and session length. To control which web servers collect information by automated means, we may place tags called “web beacons,” — small files that link web pages to particular web servers and their cookies.
You may restrict or disable certain cookies, however if you do so, you may not be able to use all of the features of our websites and may not be able to purchase products which require a ‘shopping cart’.
We are committed to constantly improving our procedures so that personal information is treated appropriately. If you feel that we have failed to deal with your personal information in accordance with this policy or in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles, please contact us, using the details listed below, so we have an opportunity to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
We will log your complaint and our privacy officer will:
- listen to your concerns and grievances;
- discuss with you the ways in which we can remedy the situation; and
- put in place an action plan to resolve your complaint and improve our information handling procedures if appropriate.
Disclosure to overseas recipients
We are likely to disclose personal information to recipients located in the United States of America, Europe, and other countries in which we do business.
If you require more detailed information about our information handling practices or if you have any concerns about our handling of your personal information, please let us know by contacting us at:
Verisk Australia Pty Limited
We will endeavour to respond to your concerns as quickly as possible.